Getting Ready for Your Hair Transplant
For those who are struggling with hair loss, a transplant can be an obvious solution. Hair transplants have only become more advanced in recent years, and now offer safe, long-lasting results with minimal recovery time. A hair transplant can help you enjoy a full, healthy head of hair once more.
With that said, it’s important to make sure you’re ready for the procedure—and that means ensuring that you meet with your doctor and follow all their pre-surgery orders to the letter. In this post, we’ll give an overview of what those orders might include.
Start with a Consultation
First and foremost: You should never have a hair transplant without first having a one-on-one regarding the proper expectations; it may take a few weeks before you start noticing hair growth, and you might even have more shedding before growth starts in earnest. It’s important for your doctor to brief you on these expectations.
Additionally, a consultation allows your surgeon to be sure you’re a healthy candidate. Transplants are not especially risky, but all surgeries have some minor risks—and you need to be sure you’re in good overall health to avoid those risks.
Preparing for Surgery
Additionally, your surgeon will likely consult you to do the following:
- Stop smoking before surgery, as smoking can sometimes impede your body’s ability to heal. Your doctor can tell you basically how many days you need to abstain from smoking before surgery.
- Avoid any alcoholic drinks for about a week before surgery.
- Don’t get your hair cut! Allow the hair in your donor area to grow out as much as possible before your transplant procedure.
- If your doctor gives you any topical medications to use before surgery, make sure you do so; again, follow the doctor’s orders to the letter!
- In some cases, the doctor may also want you to undergo some basic medical testing, like an EKG—but this is mostly for those who are older and/or in poor health.
- Avoid taking any medications that can thin your blood for at least a week before surgery. Your surgeon can advise on what some of these medications might be.
- Make sure you contact your surgeon to ask any lingering questions you may have before the transplant. Your surgeon is here to help!
By following these instructions, you can prepare yourself for a smooth surgery and an easy recovery.
Learn More About Hair Transplants from Visage Facial Surgery
Hair transplant procedures are getting better and better all the time; they provide hope for countless men and women who are faced with major hair loss. And by doing the proper preparations, you can ensure your transplant goes exceedingly well.
If you’re curious about transplants, or want to know whether you’re a good candidate, we invite you to contact us today. We’d love to meet with you one-on-one to discuss NeoGraft. Reach out to Visage Facial Surgery today and schedule your hair transplant consultation.
Comments are closed.